In Round One, with engagement from our partners, Smart Cities – Smart Futures Competition has reached 200,000 touchpoints, which resulted in 500+ accounts opened at the submission portal and 300+ submissions for Round One of the competition.
Round Two Requirements – The Smart Cities – Smart Futures competition process will continue on December 13th and close January 31st. During this time Round One winners will have the opportunity to expand upon their innovative ideas and solutions regarding smart city innovations. Up to 50 Round Two winners will receive a $1,500 award and the result will be announced in early March via our website, social media platforms, and Round Two applicant’s email.
Round Two Submissions Structure:
Essay (500 – 1000 words) Essay
- Product/ Concept/ Process Description
- Target Customer & Value Proposition
- Market Description and Size
- Product Positioning & Sales Strategy
- Revenue Potential
Two-Minute Pitch via Video (2 Minutes)
- State Your Name & Institution
- Name Of Product or Concept
- Explain why concept/product is compelling to a Smart City
- Pictures (up to 4)
- Links (up to 4)
Evaluation – During the month of February, Round Two submissions will be independently evaluated. Judges will be evaluating their assigned submissions based on a standardized set of evaluation criteria with quantitative scoring listed below:
- Clarity, completeness, and persuasiveness of the written concept and video.
- Impact, relevance and usefulness, specifically toward developing and sustaining Smart Cities of the future.
- Target market and competitive positioning are clearly articulated.
- Marketability and the value story of the proposed concept is clear (i.e., perceived demand).
- There’s indication of sound early-stage business model with compelling revenue potential.
- Initial financial/social return of the proposed concept.
- A defined risk assessment and contingency plan is clearly illustrated.
Subsequent Rounds – Only selected winners from Round Two will continue to compete in Round Three (the final round). Round Two will open on December 13th and close January 31st. Evaluation of Round Two will occur in the month of February. Following Round Two, Round Three (the final round) will begin in March and go until Mid-April. Please stay tuned to this Competition page to stay up to date with additional details that will follow.